4.16.2012

Putting my big girl panties on!

Well...in a hair over 4 months I will have been married to my other half for 10 years. I want to celebrate! This is BIG! My parents never made it to 10 years in any of their marriages and in a day when divorce rates are sky high, I'm quite proud of this! This calls for a celebration budget meeting.
Say what?!
I know..not the most romantic thing on earth but with an adoption, a 7 day cruise, a vow renewal, and a move coming up it's important to stay on top of our spending. Which leads in to the part where I need to put my big girl panties on and suck it up.

We're not renewing our vows. I could cry buckets of tears over this development because I worry about what other people are going to think or how they're going to mock me or judge me but you know what? Let them eat cake. Just not my wedding cake cause I don't wanna have to pay for it! ;)
Megan over at Millions of Miles has opened my eyes to the Congo. What's this have to do with my 10 year anniversary, my budget or my vow renewal? Everything. See, Megan adopted her adorable son, Miles, from the Congo and has posted about it. (Thanks for keeping it real, Megan!!) The pictures and the stories and the conditions of those children and women have broken my heart and I can't just sit by and do nothing for them. Since I'm already signed with LFS for our adoption and really don't want to break our contract, I have to find another way to help. Enter my budget. My already tight budget. Get where I'm going??
I would rather cancel my vow renewal and find a way to squeeze some of that money out of my tight little paw to send to the Congo than to get the gorgeous dress and food and cake and all those friends dancing away to celebrate 10 years of love.
Don't get me wrong, we're still going to have a party and I'm still going to have a dress. But its going to be more of a BBQ than a wedding.
If you hear a loud wailing, it's probably me trying to fit into my big girl panties. Don't call 9-1-1 cause that would be embarrassing.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on making that decision!! I know it is a hard one. I fight it everyday thinking is this something I really need when I should be putting money towards our adoption. You will still have just as much fun with a BBQ that you would have a vow renewal, if not maybe more fun as you won't have to stress about everything being ready and perfect!!

    ReplyDelete